Volume 26, number 11/12
- Jan 12, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Jan 19, PNKF Kata Seminar, Sat, 1-5pm, open keiko 4-5pm, Rain City
Fencing, 1776 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA 98005
- Feb 7/8, AUSKF Iaido Education Tour, Thu/Fri, with Chihiro Kishimoto Sensei,
Iaido Hanshi 8th Dan, Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan, and Jodo Kyoshi 7th Dan. Also accompanied by
Shozo Kato Sensei, Iaido Kyoshi 7th Dan and Kendo Kyoshi 8th Dan. Probable location
Rain City Fencing, 1776 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA 98005 (tentative).
- Mar 2, PNKF Shinsa, Sat, Iaido 9am-12noon; Kendo 12:30-4pm, open keiko 4-5pm,
Tyee Educational Complex, 4424 S. 188th Street, SeaTac, located right off I-5 at S.
- Mar 9, Highline Taikai, Sat, 10am, White Center Community Center.
- Mar 16, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Mar 30, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, Sat, 12noon-5pm, Kent.
- Apr 13, UW Taikai, Sat, 10am, IMA.
- Apr 13/14, Cherry Blossom Festival, PNKF demo, Seattle Center.
- May, PNKF Oregon Kendo Shinsa up to 1st Dan, Obukan/Portland/Renma Dojo, date and
place to be determined.
- May 4, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- May 18, Bellevue Junior Taikai, Sat, 9:30am-3pm.
- Jun 1, Rose City Taikai, Sat, 10am (tentative).
- Jul 6/12, PNKF Women’s Seminar, Sat/Fri (tentative).
- Jul 13, PNKF North American Women’s Kendo Tournament, Sat, Renton Community
- Jul 20, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Aug 10, PNKF Shinsa, Sat, Iaido 9am-12noon; Kendo 12:30-4pm, open
keiko 4-5pm, Kent.
- Aug 31/Sep 1 and 2, Yano Sensei visit (tentative).
- Sep 14, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Oct 5, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, 12noon-4pm, open keiko 4-5pm, Kent.
- Oct 19, Tacoma Taikai, Sat, 10am-4pm, Washington High School, 12420
Ainsworth Avenue South, Tacoma, WA (tentative).
- Nov 2, PNKF Taikai, Sat, 9:30am, Kent.
- Nov 16, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Nov 23 or Dec 7, Kent Taikai, Sat, report time 9am, start 9:30am, Kent.
- Feb 23, Steveston Taikai, Sat, 9:30am, McMath High School, 4251 Garry
Street, Richmond BC.
- Apr, 25th European Kendo Championships, Berlin.
- Apr 6/7, 25th Anniversary Cleveland Kendo Tournament/GNEUSKF Championships,
- Apr 27, Vancouver Taikai (probable date).
- Apr 13, AUSKF Board meeting.
- Jun 27-30, AUSKF Iaido Seminar, Iowa School for the Deaf (ISD), 3501 Harry
Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503.
PNKF BOARD OF DIRECTORS 2012/2013
At their November 10, 2012 meeting, the PNKF Board elected officers. President –
C. Marsten; Vice President – D. Yotsuuye; Treasurer – B. Blomquist; Recording
Secretary – T. Bolling; and Secretary of Internal Affairs – D. Ichinaga. The other
Board members are: Amy Arsenault (Highline), Jonathan Bannister (AiShinKai), Brian
Edwards (Everett), Shinichi Koike (Northwest), Tatsuhiko Konno (Musokai), Tsu Pan Lui
(OSU), Vicki Marsten (Kent), Iraj Mohebalian (Seattle), Mike Rigler (Sno-King), Russ
Sinclair (Spokane), Benjamin Stabley (Obukan), Haruka Takano (Seattle), Stephen Uchida
(Ren Ma), Frank Wessbecher (UW), and Moki Yoshikawa (Tacoma). Jeff Marsten (Bellevue/
Highline/Sno-King) continues as PNKF Advisor. Jeff Marsten is Executive Vice President
and Shinichi Koike is a member of the AUSKF Board of Directors. Elizabeth Marsten
(Highline) was re-elected as UW Advisor.
EVERETT KENDO AND IAIDO CLUB CHANGE OF PRACTICE TIMES
Due to a conflict with the basketball schedule at the Everett Boys and Girls
Club, the Kendo and Iaido programs have been moved to Sunday evening for the duration
of Winter Quarter. The Monday/Wednesday schedule should come back for Spring Quarter
starting in mid March. Iaido is 5-6:30pm and Kendo is 7-9pm on Sundays from December 2
through February 17 with a two week break for Christmas and New Year’s.
Many gathered on November 25 for the PNKF’s long serving, loyal, thoughtful,
generous, and immensely creative supporter, Toshiko Okada Imanishi, born May 10, 1924
in Wenatchee, and passed away on November 12. The location of her funeral was Seattle
Betsuin, which had been the scene of many early Taikai where she had contributed so
much, treasured sweet memories of delicious food and a beautiful blue handmade hakama.
We extend our deepest condolences to her five children, Teresa, Douglas and Daryl,
three of our prominent kenshi, and two more daughters, Arleen and Kathleen, along with
spouses, grandchildren, numerous members of the extended family, and countless
38th ANNUAL PNKF KENDO TOURNAMENT – November 3, 2012, Kent
10 Years and Under 11-12 Years 1st place - M. Fukuoka, Tozenji 1st place - S. Nichols, UVic 2nd place - A. Shimizu, Tozenji 2nd place - K. McManus, Kent 3rd place - B. Liao, Bellevue 3rd place - B. Park, Bellevue 15 Years and Under High School Boys 1st place - T. Ito, Seattle 1st place - S. O'Sullivan, Steveston 2nd place - T. Okitsu, Tozenji 2nd place - D. Sinclair, Spokane 3rd place - C. Kim, UBC 3rd place - A. Melton, Spokane 3rd place - T. Yamada, Bellevue 3rd place - A. Sinclair, Spokane High School Girls Women's Kyu 1st place - E. DeJong, Highline 1st place - E. Takami, East Bay 2nd place - B. Lin, Bellevue 2nd place - V. Le, UW Junior Team 1st place - Kent (D.Lee,K.McManus,A.Kanemasu,T.Marsten,J.Mills) 2nd place - Bellevue (B.Park,H.Kim,B.Liao,D.Lin,J.DeJong) 3rd place - Tozenji (M.Fukuoka,N.Kono,R.Holzner,L.Oka,K.Okitsu) 3rd place - Youshinkan (J.Ho,N.Asaoka,B.Lin,M.Hong,K.Uto) Senior Non-Degree Women's Dan 1st place - J. Li, UBC 1st place - A. Kikkawa, UW 2nd place - K. Kato, Alaska 2nd place - W. Robillard, Steveston 3rd place - T. McManus, Kent 3rd place - M. Hamanaka, Tozenji 3rd place - T. Lui, OSU 3rd place - R. Ono, Hawaii 1-2 Dan 3 Dan 1st place - S. Denardi, Spokane 1st place - S. Smith, Highline 2nd place - C. Ruiz, Spokane 2nd place - I. Morgan, Kent 3rd place - R. Murao, Steveston 3rd place - A. Zee, Sno-King 3rd place - A. Song, SFU 3rd place - J. Murakami, Vancouver 4 Dan and Up 1st place - S. Asaoka, Youshinkan 2nd place - M. Asaoka, Youshinkan 3rd place - S. Harris, Hawaii 3rd place - G. Suzaka, Seattle Senior Team 1st place - Hawaii (J.Okada,R.Ono,S.Harris,A.Fujimoto,K.Sato) 2nd place - Youshinkan (K.Takeuchi,A.Campbell,J.Chien,S.Asaoka,M.Asaoka) 3rd place - Vancouver (J.Murakami,A.Lee,K.Beppu,A.Fukushima,A.Leung) 3rd place - Steveston (L.Leung,S.O'Sullivan,R.Murao,D.Yao,P.Lee) Shoji Trophy - Bernice Lin, Bellevue Sportsmanship Pledge - Daniel Sinclair, Spokane Shinpan Cho - Robert Stroud, Idaho
16th ANNUAL KENT KENDO CLUB INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT – December 8, 2012, Kent
12 Years and Under 13-15 Years 1st place - D. Lin, Bellevue 1st place - J. DeJong, Highline 2nd place - B. Liao, Bellevue 2nd place - J. Mills, Kent 3rd place - M. Blechschmidt, Bellevue 3rd place - T. Marsten, Kent 3rd place - H. Kim, Bellevue 3rd place - Me. DeJong, Highline Junior Team 1st place - Kent (D.Lee,A.Kanemasu,K.McManus,T.Marsten,J.Mills) 2nd place - Bellevue Red (M.Blechschmidt,H.Kim,B.Liao,A.Nagasawa,J.Higa) 3rd place - Bellevue White (D.Lin,JW.Chen,L.Shibata,A.Kojima,M.Liao) 3rd place - PNW (H.Allen,E.Underhill,K.Aparicio,J.DeJong,Me.DeJong) 4 Kyu and Under 3-1 Kyu 1st place - Z. Neale, UW 1st place - R. Tetzloff, Kent 2nd place - N. Tang, UW 2nd place - T. McManus, Kent 3rd place - D. Peterson, Spokane 3rd place - Y. Sandberg, Spokane 3rd place - C. Courney, Everett 3rd place - S. Stern, UW Women 1-3 Dan 1st place - N. Grimes, Sno-King 1st place - W. Kuster, Spokane 2nd place - Me. DeJong, Highline 2nd place - A. Yen, Seattle 3rd place - T. Ying, Highline 3rd place - S. DeNardi, Spokane 3rd place - A. Kikkawa, UW 3rd place - A. Kikkawa, UW 4th place - C. Marsten, Kent 1-3 Dan Seniors 4th place - N. Grimes, Sno-King 1st place - M. Nelson, Spokane 4th place - A. Melton, Spokane 2nd place - DL Kim, Bellevue 4th place - A. Zee, Sno-King 3rd place - Je. Lamb, Spokane 3rd place - Ma. DeJong, Highline Senior Team 1st place - Sno-King (M.Scott,A.Zee,N.Grimes,T.Patana,C.Chaney) 2nd place - Spokane A (J.Duplain,A.Sinclair,C.Ruiz,S.DeNardi,W.Kuster) 3rd place - Bellevue A (S.Deblieck,B.Lin,T.Yamada,DL.Kim,S.Shilov) 3rd place - UW A (Y.Shim,H.Christianson,D.Cheng,A.Kikkawa,S.Stern) Sportsmanship Pledge - Ian Morgan Junior Spirit of the Day - Hannah Kim, Bellevue Senior Spirit of the Day - Hana Lee, Highline Shinpan Cho - Shinichi Koike, Northwest
Editor – 7318 23rd Avenue N.E., Seattle, WA 98115