Volume 25, number 1/2/3
- Mar 22/23, All Japan Kendo Dojo Overseas Training Junior High School
champion team, individual boy, individual girl, and Kendo essay contest
winners, Tue, 6:30pm at Seattle, and Wed, 7pm at Kent.
- Mar 24/28, Obukan Kendo Seminar featuring Tsuchida Sensei, Sasaki Sensei,
and Yoshihara Sensei, guests from Hiroshima, Thu through Mon, Cascade
College, 9101 E. Burnside, Portland.
- Apr 2, UW Taikai, Sat, 10am, IMA.
- Apr 2/3, Cherry Blossom Festival, PNKF demo 3pm Apr 3, Sun, Seattle Center.
- Apr 9/10, Oregon State University Kendo Club Spring Seminar, Sat 10am-5pm,
Sun 9am-2pm, OSU Women’s Gym Room 112, Corvallis.
- Apr 16, Pocatello Kendo Club Spring Seminar, Sat 10am-3:30pm, Idaho State
University, Reed Gym Room 237, Pocatello.
- Apr 30, PNKF Iaido Shinpan Seminar and Taikai, Sat, 9am-3pm, Spartan Recreation Center, 202
N.E. 185th Street, Shoreline.
- May 7, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- May 15, Spring Portland Kendo Kata Seminar, Sun, 9am-3:30pm, Kendo Kyoshi Robert Stroud,
cost: $22, Hillside Community Center, 653 NW Culpepper Terrace, Portland.
- May 21, Bellevue Junior Taikai, Sat, 9:30am-3pm.
- Jun 4, Rose Festival Taikai, Sat, 10am (tentative).
- Jun 24-26, Tomokawa Sensei Tacoma Visit/Seminar, Fri-Sun, Pacific Lutheran University.
- Jul 9, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Aug 6, PNKF Shinsa, Sat, Iaido 9am-12noon; Kendo 12:30-5pm, Kent.
- Aug 20/21/22, Spokane Taikai, Sat/Sun/Mon,
- Sep 1-5, Kendo Leadership Camp, conducted by Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Robert Stroud and Kendo
Kyoshi 7th Dan Jeffrey Marsten, based on the AJKF Foreigners Kendo Camp. The camp is for 1st
Kyu through 4th Dan and is limited to 30 individuals, Thompson Broadview
Elementary/Bitterlake Community Center Annex, 13052 Greenwood Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133.
For details and registration see http://americankendo.com.
- Sep 17, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Oct 8, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, Sat, 12noon-5pm, Kent.
- Oct, PNKF Iaido Seminar, Sat/Sun, Rain City Fencing, 1776 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA (tentative).
- Oct 22, Tacoma Taikai, Sat, 10am-4pm (tentative).
- Nov 5, PNKF Taikai, Sat, 9:30am, Kent.
- Nov 12, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Nov 19, Kent Taikai, Sat, report time 9am, start 9:30am, Kent.
- Mar 25-27, 23rd Annual Cleveland Kendo Tournament/Greater Northeast US Kendo Championships,
Fri-Sun, Adelbert Gymnasium, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland.
- Apr 9/10, Harvard Radcliffe Kendo Club Shoryuhai, Sat/Sun, Cambridge.
- Apr 23, 46th Annual Vancouver Kendo Club Tournament, Sat, 9:30am, Byrne Creek Secondary
School, 7777 18th Street, Burnaby, BC.
- Apr 29/30/May 1, Seminar, Nabeshima Cup and Texas Open Taikai, and Shinsa, Fri/Sat/Sun.
- Jul 29-30, Moorhead Dojo MWKF Iaido Seminar, Moorhead, MN. http://seminar.musoshindenryu.com
- Jul 29-Aug 5, All Japan Foreign Kendo Leaders Summer Seminar, Kitamoto, Saitama, Japan.
- Aug 12/13, AUSKF Championship, Fri/Sat.
- Nov 12, AUSKF Board.
- 2012, 15WKC, Novara, Italy. http://www.15wkc-italy.org/.
NEW PNKF WEBSITE
The new PNKF website is live now, at http://pnkf.org/.
2011 ALL JAPAN KENDO DOJO RENMEI OVERSEAS TRAINING TOUR
Once again this year we will have a visit from the All Junior High school champion team, individual boy,
individual girl and Kendo essay contest winners. Practice will be held at Seattle Kendo Kai on Tuesday, March
22, 6:30pm, and at Kent Kendo Club on Wednesday, March 23, 7pm. The group is lead by: Tadanori Ota Sensei,
Azumori Toyomura Sensei and Hitoshi Shime Sensei. There are 8 juniors in the group.
PNKF IAIDO SHINPAN SEMINAR AND SUIGETSU BOWL IAIDO CHALLENGE TAIKAI
Mudansha to 2nd Dan will receive clear instruction on grading and judging key points, while 3rd Dan and
higher will practice judging etiquette, principles and strategy. Saturday, April 30, 9am-3pm, Spartan
Recreation Center, 202 NE 185th St, Shoreline. The Taikai competitors will be the Mudansha through 2nd Dan, with
the 3rd Dan and above applying their judging skills. Two trophies will be the Suigetsu Bowl for team
competition, and the AiShinKai Cup for individual. The Seminar is free of charge. Fee for Taikai competitors is
$20. Please register by April 23. Information: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, or call
KENDO LEADERSHIP CAMP
Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Jeffrey Marsten and Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Robert Stroud will be conducting a Kendo Camp
based on the All Japan Kendo Federation Kitamoto Foreigners Kendo Camp, from September 1 through 5, 2011 in
Seattle. The Camp is for 1st Kyu through 4th Dan and will be limited to 30 individuals. Thompson Broadview
Elementary/Bitterlake Community Center Annex, 13052 Greenwood Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133. For details and
registration see http://americankendo.com.
49th ANNUAL STEVESTON KENDO TOURNAMENT – February 19, 2011, McMath High School
10 Years and Under 11 to 13 Years 14 to 15 Years 1st place - T. Kuida, Seattle 1st place - T. Ito, Seattle 1st place - S. Park, NCKF 2nd place - S. Nichols, UVic 2nd place - A. Lim, Renbu 2nd place - D. Hong, Central 3rd place - W. Wee, Bellevue 3rd place - C. Lam, Steveston 3rd place - D. Minaki, NCKF 3rd place - A. Hayashi, UVic 3rd place - T. Horii, SCKF 3rd place - J. Kang, Cascade Non-Degree 0-4 Kyu Non-Degree 1-3 Kyu Ladies 1 Dan and Under 1st place - D. Yao, Steveston 1st place - S. DeNardi, Spokane 1st place - B. Hsu, SFU 2nd place - S. Stern, UW 2nd place - P. Nozawa, Sno-King 2nd place - R. Chiang, Matsu-kai 3rd place - T. Katsuo, SCKF 3rd place - Y. Yamada, Renbu 3rd place - Y. Qu, UVic 3rd place - M. Kwong, Steveston 3rd place - A. Rose, Renfrew 3rd place - J. Lee, Renbu Ladies 2 Dan and Above 1-2 Dan 3 Dan 1st place - E. Marsten, Highline 1st place - S. Cresse, Kent 1st place - B. Fukutomi, Hawaii 2nd place - N. Grimes, UW 2nd place - J. Higo, Steveston 2nd place - Y. Kariya, SCKF 2nd place - A. Fukushima, Vancouver 3rd place - S. Marumo, Matsu-kai 3rd place - M. Stoer, UVic 3rd place - R. Doi, NCKF 3rd place - F. Wessbecher, UW 3rd place - C. Park, NCKF 4 Dan and Above 1st place - D. Nakamoto, SCKF 2nd place - S. Asaoka, Youshinkan 3rd place - T. Ariga, eBogu 3rd place - M. Rose, Renfrew Junior Team Senior Team 1st place - NCKF/SCKF (T.Horii,D.Minaki, 1st place - Steveston A (J.Higo,R.Murao R.Ichimura,K.Chiba,S.Parker) N.Nakano,B.Chung,G.Ohara,N.Nakano) 2nd place - Ren/Van/Kel/Renf (E.Lee,G.Helgensen 2nd place - Vancouver (H.Yamada,S.Ueno, A.Tsang,H.Liu,A.Lee) T.Yamada,R.Kato,Y.Maruyama,Y.Maruyama) 3rd place - Steveston (S.Kiang,C.Lam, 3rd place - SCKF (T.Katsuo,Y.Kariya S.O'Sullivan,JbTubajon,K.Matsushita) T.Dirkson,D.Nakamoto,R.Fachini) 3rd place - Renbu (H.Shim,Z.Lin, 3rd place - Highline (J.Marsten,E.Marsten J.Shim,A.Lin,H.Fujita) J.Scherer,A.Arsenault,R.Elliott)
34th ANNIVERSARY HIGHLINE MUDANSHA CHALLENGE CUP – March 6, 2010, White Center
1st place - David Cheng, UW 2nd place - Harley Christianson, UW 3rd place - Chris Ruiz, Spokane 3rd place - Johnson Yu, UW 4th place - Ben Smith, Bellevue 4th place - Matt Wolf, Spokane 4th place - Ryk Murakami, Bellevue 4th place - Peter Nozawa, Sno-King Teams 1st place - UW, 65 points 2nd place - Spokane, 33 points 3rd place - Bellevue, 29 points 4th place - Sno-King, 20 points
PNKF IAIDO SHINSA, February 26, 2011, Bellevue
3RD KYU: Young-Min James Kil (Seattle), Nathan Sandhop (Everett), Jeff Scherpelz (Musokai), Shawna Williams
(Musokai). 2ND KYU: Hank U-Seong Kim (UW), Sarah Moore (Everett). 1ST KYU: Amber Jeanneret
(Everett), Lynn Miyauchi (Musokai), Jason Wilcox (Musokai), Sam Wilkins (Everett). 1ST DAN: James
PNKF KENDO SHINSA, February 26, 2011, Bellevue
6TH KYU: Maya Blechschmidt (Bellevue), Sean Kelly (Federal Way), Hannah Kim (Bellevue), Betty Park
(Bellevue). 5TH KYU: Alexander Fukasawa (Tacoma), Peng Hsiao (Cascade), Natalie Imanishi (Cascade), Ryoma
Imanishi (Seattle), Ryan Kim (Cascade), Tatsuki Kuida (Seattle), Kenny Lee (Cascade), David Lin (Bellevue),
Andrew Nagasawa (Bellevue), Leo Shibata (Bellevue), Alexandra Shim (Cascade), Victoria Shim (Cascade), Vivian Vu
(Northwest), Wynn Wee (Bellevue), Andy Yuen (Seattle). 4TH KYU: Raleigh Blakeway (Sno-King), Ben
Constable (Bellevue), Amy Drackert (Bellevue), Farah Hushin (UW), Alex Kanemasu (Kent), Keeley McManus (Kent),
Terry McManus (Kent), Camille Nagasawa (Bellevue), Andrew Nguyen (Cascade), Jason Pegis (Sno-King), Oliver
Saltzman (Bellevue), Matthew Talley (Bellevue), Kaoru Toyokawa (Tacoma), Sean Wee (Bellevue), Eric Weisner
(Bellevue), Lori Yu (Bellevue). 3RD KYU: Robin Chang (Cascade), Dana Chinn (Bellevue), Eric Dominey (UW),
Honghui Guo (Bellevue), Joshua Hill (Everett), Arius Jackson (Federal Way), Amber Jeanneret (Everett), Jin Kang
(Cascade), Erica Kim (Northwest), Sunghi Kim (Northwest), U-Seong Hank Kim (UW), Truman Lee (UW), Tiarnan Marsten
(Kent), Christine Na (Cascade), Dan Park (Bellevue), Christopher Parkins (Obukan), Scott Richards (Cascade),
Nathan Sandhop (Everett), Tim Sayer (Bellevue), Ben Smith (Bellevue), Michael Song (Cascade), Kevin Tsang
(Bellevue), Matthew Yasui (OSU). 2ND KYU: Rebecca Cook (Idaho), Wes Horn (Idaho), Damon Jansen (Spokane),
Andrew Kato (Obukan), Stephanie Kim (Cascade), Makayla Miracle (Spokane), Emily Morgan (Cascade), Friedryk
Murakami (Bellevue), Yuriko Phancenek (Northwest), Chris Ruiz (Spokane), Yumiko Shinoda (Bellevue), Stanley Tang
(Sno-King), Richard Yoon (Cascade), Johnson Yu (UW) 1ST KYU: David Cheng (UW), David Kim (Bellevue),
Bernice Lin (Bellevue), Sam Wilkins (Everett), Trent Yamada (Bellevue). 1ST DAN: Seth DeNardi (Spokane),
Jeff Lamb (Spokane), Aaron Melton (Spokane), Marek Nelson (Spokane), Yang-Li Ou (Northwest). 2ND DAN:
Hiroshi Ito (Seattle), Matthew Miller (Idaho), Heon Park (Seattle), Young Shim (UW), Frank Wessbecher (UW), Aaron
Yen (Seattle). 4TH DAN: Julie Chen (Sno-King).
Kenyu – Monthly Newsletter of the Pacific Northwest Kendo Federation
Editor – 7318 23rd Avenue N.E., Seattle, WA 98115