Volume 25, number 4
- May 7, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- May 15, Spring Portland Kendo Kata Seminar, Sun, 9am-3:30pm, Kendo Kyoshi Robert Stroud,
cost: $22, Hillside Community Center, 653 NW Culpepper Terrace, Portland.
- May 21, Bellevue Junior Taikai, Sat, 9:30am-3pm.
- Jun 4, Rose Festival Taikai, Sat, 10am, doors open at 0am, main gym, Portland Community College
Sylvania, 12000 Southwest 49th Avenue, Portland.
- Jun 24-26, Tomokawa Sensei Tacoma Visit/Seminar, Fri-Sun, Pacific Lutheran University.
- Jul 8-10, AUSKF Kendo Education Tour, Fri/Sat/Sun, featuring Kendo Hanshi 8th Dan Futagoishi Takashi and Migita Kojiro, 2006 All Japan 8th Dan Champion and 1976 All Japan Champion respectively,
exact time and location to be determined.
- Jul 16, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton (tentative).
- Aug 6, PNKF Shinsa, Sat, Iaido 9am-12noon; Kendo 12:30-5pm, Kent.
- Aug 20/21/22, Spokane Taikai, Sat/Sun/Mon.
- Sep 1-5, Kendo Leadership Camp, conducted by Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Robert Stroud and Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Jeffrey Marsten, based on the AJKF Foreigners Kendo Camp. The camp is for 1st Kyu through 4th Dan and is limited to 30 individuals, Thompson Broadview Elementary/Bitterlake Community Center Annex, 13052 Greenwood Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133. For details and registration see http://americankendo.com.
- Sep 17, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Oct 8, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, Sat, 12noon-5pm, Kent.
- Oct, PNKF Iaido Seminar, Sat/Sun, Rain City Fencing, 1776 136th Place NE, Bellevue, WA (tentative).
- Oct 22, Tacoma Taikai, Sat, 10am-4pm (tentative).
- Nov 5, PNKF Taikai, Sat, 9:30am, Kent.
- Nov 12, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Nov 19, Kent Taikai, Sat, report time 9am, start 9:30am, Kent.
- Jun 9-13, AUSKF Iaido Camp and Jodo Workshop, Thu-Mon, conducted by Iaido Hanshi 8th Dan
Kishimoto Chihiro and Yamasaki Masahiro, Mac Center Gym, Kent State University, 800 East Summit Street,
- Jul 29-31, Moorhead Dojo MWKF Iaido Seminar, Moorhead, MN.
- Jul 29-Aug 5, All Japan Foreign Kendo Leaders Summer Seminar, Kitamoto, Saitama, Japan.
- Aug 12/13, AUSKF Championship, Fri/Sat, Atlanta, Georgia.
- Nov 12, AUSKF Board.
- May 25-27, 2012, 15WKC, Novara, Italy. http://www.15wkc-italy.org/.
KENDO LEADERSHIP CAMP
Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Jeffrey Marsten and Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Robert Stroud will be conducting a Kendo Camp based on the All Japan Kendo Federation Kitamoto Foreigners Kendo Camp, from September 1 through 5, 2011 in Seattle. The Camp is for 1st Kyu through 4th Dan and will be limited to 30 individuals. Thompson Broadview Elementary/Bitterlake Community Center Annex, 13052 Greenwood Ave N., Seattle, WA 98133. For details and registration see the American Kendo webiste.
EDMONDS KENDO CLUB
At its March 12 meeting, the PNKF Board welcomed the Edmonds Kendo Club as a new PNKF Dojo with probationary status. Head Instructor is Kendo 5th Dan Naoaki Tanimura. Practices are Saturdays, 1-3pm, at Frances Anderson Cultural and Leisure Center, 700 Main Street, Edmonds, WA 98020.
35th ANNUAL UNIVERSITY OF WASHINGTON INVITATIONAL KENDO TOURNAMENT – April 2, 2011
Women's Open 0-4 Kyu 1st place - H. Yamada, Vancouver 1st place - D. Yao, Steveston 2nd place - A. Fukushima, Vancouver 2nd place - M. Kwong, Steveston 3rd place - N. Grimes, UW 3rd place - K. D'Souza, Steveston 3rd place - J. Chen, Sno-King 3rd place - J. Lee, Steveston 1-3 Kyu 1-3 Dan 1st place - D. Tsai, UW 1st place - J. Higo, Steveston 2nd place - D. Chang, UW 2nd place - L. Tsybert, Bellevue 3rd place - C. Ruiz, Spokane 3rd place - R. Murao, Steveston 3rd place - H. Christianson, UW 3rd place - N. Grimes, UW 4th place - J. DuPlain, Spokane 4 Dan and Above 4th place - H. Lee, Highline 1st place - J. Marsten, Highline 4th place - F. Wessbecher, UW 2nd place - B. Chung, Steveston 4th place - S. Cresse, Kent 3rd place - N. Tanimura, Seattle 3rd place - D. Pan, Bellevue Teams 1st place - Steveston (P.Lee,R.Murao,N.Nakano,H.Higo,B.Chung,N.Nakano) 2nd place - Vancouver (D.Takeuchi,A.Fukushima,H.Yamada,D.Banbury,T.Yamada,T.Yamada) Sportsmanship Pledge - David Cheng Kazuo and Tomo Shoji Inspirational Award - Entire Kendo Club at UW
15th HARVARD INVITATIONAL SHORYUHAI INTERCOLLEGIATE KENDO TOURNAMENT – April 9/10, 2011
Teams Individuals 1st place - UCSD A 1st place - Matthew Yang, Rutgers U 2nd place - Boston U A 2nd place - Hojin Park, UCSD 3rd place - Boston U B 3rd place - Takashi Ohashi, Cornell U 3rd place - SUNY Stony Brook A 3rd place - Mevlana Gemici, Cornell U
53rd ANNUAL CALIFORNIA NORTH/SOUTH TOURNAMENT – April 17, 2011, Leigh HS, San Jose
10 and Under 11 to 13 Years 1st place - K. Kim, Sho Tokyo 1st place - R. Satoh, Sho Tokyo 2nd place - R. Satoh, Sho Tokyo 2nd place - C. Yoon, Norwalk 3rd place - T. Nakashimo, Gedatsu 3rd place - D. Kumagai, Torrance 3rd place - C. Tada, Sho Tokyo 3rd place - T. Horii, Torrance 14 to 17 Years Adult Kyu 1st place - K. Kobayashi, Torrance 1st place - A. Kern, Gedatsu 2nd place - T. Makiuchi, Sho Tokyo 2nd place - C. Kao, Costa Mesa 3rd place - K. Fujimoto, San Jose 3rd place - T. Taguchi, Gedatsu 3rd place - K. Hakamata, Sho Tokyo 3rd place - D. Brown, Sacramento Women 1-2 Dan 1st place - K. Kikunaga, San Jose 1st place - R. Eguchi, Salinas 2nd place - Mc.Cabral, Oakland 2nd place - S. Konopka, San Mateo 3rd place - A. Aono, Oakland 3rd place - T. Onisaki, Berkeley 3rd place - Me.Cabral, Oakland 3rd place - B. Yoon, Norwalk 3-4 Dan 5 Dan and Above 1st place - H. Imai, Sho Tokyo 1st place - Y. Shimada, San Jose 2nd place - C. Park, San Jose 2nd place - J. Eitoku, Salinas 3rd place - S. Choi, Mountain View 3rd place - G. Harada, Sacramento 3rd place - H. Kim, Torrance 3rd place - T. Tokunaga, San Jose Seniors Kantosho 1st place - M. Harada, San Mateo Youth - H Hakamata, Sho Tokyo 2nd place - K. Chinen, Sho Tokyo Women - J. Brodsky, Berkeley 3rd place - A. Mizunoue, Oakland Adult - L. Pham, Salinas 3rd place - C. Tanouye, Oakland Youth Team won by SCKF Yudansha Team won by NCKF Kodansha Team won by SCKF
46th ANNUAL VANCOUVER KENDO TOURNAMENT – April 23, 2011, Byrne Secondary School
Moment of Silence to honor the late Masanobu Kawahira Sensei and Akira Hayashi Sensei Sportsmanship Pledge - Alex Lee 8 to 12 Years 13 to 15 Years 1st place - T. Marsten, Kent 1st place - C. Lam, Steveston 2nd place - J. DeJong, PNKF Women 2nd place - A. Lee, Vancouver 3rd place - K. McManus, Kent 3rd place - J. Mills, Kent 3rd place - S. Nicholas, U Victoria 3rd place - E. DeJong, PNKF Women 16 to 20 Years 21 to 30 Years 1st place - T. Hamanaka, Tozenji 1st place - R. Kato, Vancouver 2nd place - R. Murao, Steveston 2nd place - G. Suzaka, Seattle 3rd place - K. Knecht, Steveston 3rd place - T. Yamada, Vancouver 3rd place - E. Kita, Renbu 3rd place - B. Imanishi, Cascade 31 to 40 Years 41 Years and Over 1st place - S. Asaoka, Youshinkan 1st place - M. Hasegawa, Renfrew 2nd place - M. Rose, Renbu 2nd place - S. Shiono, Calgary 3rd place - S. Ueno, Vancouver 3rd place - B. Campbell, Matsu-Kai 3rd place - L. Tsybert, Bellevue 3rd place - R. Knecht, Steveston Women 1st place - M. Hamanaka, UBC 2nd place - N. Grimes, PNKF Women 3rd place - A. Fukushima, Vancouver 3rd place - Ha.Yamada, Vancouver Junior Team Senior Team 1st place - Steveston (K.Matsushita, 1st place - Vancouver (H.Yamada,A.Fukushima, C.Lam,S.O'Sullivan,J.Tubajon,H.Liu) S.Ueno,R.Kato,T.Yamada) 2nd place - PNKF (B.Lin,J.DeJong, 2nd place - Steveston (P.Lee,K.Knecht, M.DeJong,D.Lin,E.DeJong) R.Murao,T.Kikuchi,K.Iwai) Fighting Spirit (Juniors) - E. Lee, Renbu and T. Okitsu, Tozenji
AUSKF KODANSHA SHINSA, November 14, 2010, Torrance
RENSHI: Masayasu Ando (PNKF).
AUSKF KODANSHA SHINSA, April 10, 2011, Torrance
5TH DAN: Ken Ikeda (SCKO), Katsuhide Kinjo (SCKF), Kook Bae Lee (SCKF), Naoaki Tanimura (PNKF), Ai Takado (PNKF).
7TH DAN: Uk Hur (SCKO).
KYOSHI: Taro Ariga (SCKO), Tsuyoshi Nishiura (NCKF).
- Kenyu – Monthly Newsletter of the Pacific Northwest Kendo Federation
- Tom Bolling, Editor – 7318 23rd Avenue N.E., Seattle, WA 98115