PNKF DATEBOOKJanuary 2020
* 1/11: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, Sat, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 1/25-1/26: FIK Kendo Referee Seminar for the American Zone (FY 2019), Sat-Sun, British Columbia Institute of Technology Athletic Gymnasium, 3700 Willingdon Avenue, Burnaby, BC V5G 3H2 Canada. Accommodation: Delta Hotel by Marriott Burnaby Conference Center, 4331 Dominion Street, Burnaby, BC V5G 1C7. – Participants should be members of FIK affiliated organizations in principle. – Kendo 5 Dan or higher, and practice Kendo regularly. – No age limit to participate.
* 2/8: Steveston Taikai, Sat, 9am, McMath High School, 4251 Garry Street, Richmond BC.
* 2/14-16: East Coast Iaido Winter Seminar, Fri, Ken Zen in NYC, and Sat-Sun, CERC Indoor Gym in Jersey City, NJ.
* 2/29: PNKF Kendo Shinsa, Sat, doors open at 11am, end after godo keiko, out the door by 5pm, Tyee Educational Complex, 4424 S. 188th Street, SeaTac, WA 98188.
* 3/14: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 3/21: Highline Taikai, Sat, doors open 8:30am, opening ceremonies 9:30am, White Center Community Center, 1321 SW 102nd Street, Seattle.
* 3/21-22: 24th Annual Harvard Shoryuhai Intercollegiate Kendo Tournament, Sat/Sun, Malkin Althletic Center (MAC), 4th floor basketball courts, on Holyoke Street, Boston.
* 3/28: PNKF Nippon Kendo Kata and BKKR Seminar, Sat, 9am-1pm, Chinook Middle School, 18650 42nd Avenue S., SeaTac, WA 98188.
* 3/28: PNKF Iaido Seminar and Shinsa, Sat, CANCELLED.
* 4/4: AUSKF Junior Open Championships, Sat, Marina High School, 15871 Springdale Street, Huntington Beach, California 92649. http://auskf-jrnationals.com/.
* 4/18: UW Taikai, Sat, Intramural Activities (IMA), UW campus, Montlake Boulevard NE, Seattle.
* 4/26: Cherry Blossom demo, Sun, Seattle Center.
* 5/2: Rose City Taikai, Sat, Portland, time and venue TBD.
* 5/9: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 5/16: Bellevue Junior Taikai, Sat, 9:30am start time, Highland Park Community Center, 14224 Bel-Red Road, Bellevue.
* 5/30: 55th Annual Vancouver Kendo Tournament, Sat, 10am-6pm, doors open 9am, Byrne Creek Secondary School, 7777 18th Street, Burnaby, B.C. V3N 5E5
* Probable 13th Annual US Nito Kendo Summer Camp, venue, date, and time TBD.
* 7/18: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 8/15: PNKF Kendo Shinsa, Sat, Kent Commons Recreational Center, 525 4th Avenue N., Kent.
* 9/12: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, St. Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 9/25-9/27: PNKF Iaido Seminar, Tournament, and Shinsa, TBD.
* 10/3: Kent Taikai, Sat TBD, Kent Commons Recreational Center, 525 4th Avenue N., Kent.
* 10/17 or 10/24: Tacoma Taikai, Sat, TBD.
* 11/7: PNKF Taikai, Kent Commons Recreational Center, 525 4th Avenue N., Kent.
* 11/14-15: AUSKF Board meeting.
* 11/15: AUSKF Kodansha Shinsa.
* 11/21: PNKF Board meeting, 9-11am, Peter’s Episcopal Church, 1610 S. King Street, Seattle.
* 5/27-30: 18WKC, Thu-Sun, Paris, France.
PNKF BOARD NEWS
At their November 16, 2019 meeting, the 2019/2020 Board was seated, and Officers were elected. President – CJ Chaney (Sno-King), Vice President – Doug Imanishi (Seattle), Treasurer – Mary DeJong (Highline), Secretary – Tom Bolling (Bellevue), UW Advisor – CJ Chaney.
Other Board members are: Masa Ando (Alaska), Jonathan Bannister (AiShinKai), Sean Blechschmidt (Bellevue), Steve Choi (Portland), Karin Fedderson (Tacoma), Mark Frederick (Northwest), Jane Higa (UW), Trinh Ho (Northwest), Bryan Imanishi, Michael Mabale (Seattle), Curtis Marsten (Kent), Tiarnan Marsten (Kent), Vicki Marsten (Federal Way), George Nakayama (Portland), Ed Olson (Tonbo), Chris Ruiz (Spokane), Russ Sinclair (Spokane), Blake Sprenger (Obukan), Stephen Ting (Northwest), Mark Verrey, Frank Wessbecher (Highline), David Yotsuuye (Bellevue).
The PNKF has been notified by M. Kajitani, AUSKF Vice-President for Promotion, that the AUSKF will require Bokutoni Yoru Kendo Kihonwaza Renshuho (BKKR) 1-9 be added to the Shinsa for 2nd Kyu. Official starting date is April 1, 2020, so this requirement will be added to our August 15, 2020 Kendo Shinsa. At the Shinsa, we are allowed to provide assistance to the candidate during the test, and this is not intended to fail anyone. The whole purpose is to integrate BKKR into regular Kendo practice. We plan to do a demo of this BKKR 1-9 at our February 29, 2020 Shinsa.
2019 PNKF IAIDO TAIKAI – September 29, 2019, Rain City Fencing Center, Bellevue, Washington
Sportsmanship Pledge – Derek Reynolds, Alaska Mudansha 0-1 Kyu Yudansha 1-2 Dan 1st place – Brian Burton, AiShinKai 1st place – Alden Vanderspek, AiShinKai 2nd place – Derek Reynolds, Alaska 2nd place – Thane Mittelstaedt, AiShinKai 3rd place – James Thorne, AiShinKai 3rd place – Nikhil Varma, Seattle 3rd place – Abigail Benoit, Tonbo 3rd place – Sean Horita, Musokai Yudansha 3-4 Dan (Noguchi Cup) 1st place – Lynn Miyauchi, Musokai 2nd place – Hans Andersen, AiShinKai 3rd place – Loren Nishimura, Spokane 3rd place – Christopher Parkins, Ren Ma Fighting Spirit – Loren Nishimura, Spokane
2019 HAWAII STATE KENDO CHAMPIONSHIPS, September 29, 2019, Halawa Gym
Yonenbu Shonenbu 1st place – Shu Etsumi, Kenshikan 1st place – Noa Mulder, Wahiawa 2nd place – Maiki Uda, Kenshikan 2nd place – Gavin Ushio, Lihue 3rd place – Hayato Matsuda, Kenshikan 3rd place – Malia Stachiewicz, Kenshikan 3rd place – Blair Musashi, Daijingu 3rd place – Junsei Tanizaki, Kenshikan Seinenbu Women’s Open 1st place – Gabriel Hart, Lihue 1st place – Zidi Hiramoto, Kenshikan 2nd place – Neil Shimabukuro, Aiea 2nd place – Megan Kirk, Wahiawa 3rd place – Jacie Matsumoto, Kenshikan 3rd place – Tina Kaku, Kenshikan 3rd place – Mari Shimabukuro, Aiea 3rd place – Jacie Matsumoto, Kenshikan Yudansha 1-3 Yudansha 4 and Above 1st place – Yuta Shimohara, Kenshikan 1st place – Makio Koga, Myohoji 2nd place – Vincent Koyo Yancey, Daijingu 2nd place – Bert Shibuya, Seibukan 3rd place – Nicklas Matsumoto, Kenshikan 3rd place – Carl Nakamura, Mililani 3rd place – Daiki Miura, Myohoji 3rd place – Dan Liu, Meikyokan Grand Championship Winner Hyun Kim, Kenshikan
18th LONGHORN INVITATIONAL TEAM KENDO TAIKAI – October 12, 2019, Austin, Texas
1st place – New York Kenshinkai A (N. Alcorn, Mat. Schultzel, M. Hamasaki, P. Winters, CH Huang) 2nd place - Asociacion de Kendo Nuevo Leon (A. Wong, R. Sevilla, I. Rodriguez, M. Gonzales, C. Martinez) 3rd place – Houston Kendo Kyokai A (Y. Kimura, A. Darrah, J. Kan, D. Choe, T. Nguyen) 3rd place – Dallas/Ft. Worth A (Y. Cho, K. Yamamoto, A. Navarro, R. Solitano, JK Kim, Z. Gonzales) Longhorn Awards Takashi Yabuta, 2D, San Diego Kendo Bu/UCSD, San Diego, California Carlos Martinez, 2D, Asociacion de Kendo del Estado de Nuevo Leon, Monterrey, Mexico
20th INVITATIONAL TACOMA KENDO TAIKAI – October 26, 2019, Curtis High School, University Place
9 and Under 10-12 Years Kyu 1st place – Saiichi Johnson, Seattle 1st place – Juah Paik, Tacoma 2nd place – Nicklas Frederick, Tacoma 2nd place – Nicholas Chu, Bellevue 3rd place – Strummer Maxfield-Matsumoto, 3rd place – Nina Underhill, Northwest Highline 13-15 Years Kyu 16 Years and Up Round Robin 1st place – Jonathan Yu, Northwest 1st place – Danny Chung, Cascade 2nd place – Devin Chung, Cascade 2nd place – Aaron Fung, Cascade 3rd place – Sean Kim, Seattle 3rd place – Catherine Park, Bellevue 1st Dan 1st place – Keichi Underhill, Northwest 2nd place – Josh Kim, Federal Way 3rd place – Kyle Hale, Seattle Junior Teams 1st place – Cascade A (John Ryu, Ai Fukuda, Devin Chung) 2nd place – Northwest 1 (Nina Underhill, Isabella Lee, Jonathan Yu) Senior Teams 1st place – Mixed Senior (Joshua Paik, Josh Kim, Danny Chung) 2nd place – Northwest (Keiji Underhill, Simon Lee, Koki Takamatsu) National Anthem Singer – Juah Paik Sportsmanship Pledge – Daniel Kao Shinpan Cho – David S. Yotsuuye
45th ANNUAL PNKF KENDO TOURNAMENT – November 2, 2019, Kent Commons Recreation Center
4 Dan and Above 10 Years and Under 1st place – R. Asato, Vancouver 1st place – KA Yoshimura, Renbu 2nd place – B. Imanishi, Cascade 2nd place – M. Ishizuka, Youshinkan 3rd place – K. Chun, Hawaii 3rd place – Y. Asaoka, Youshinkan 3rd place – T. Hamanaka, Tozenji 3rd place – A. Kobayashi, Youshinkan 11-12 Years 13-15 Years 1st place – N. Son, Renbu 1st place – K. Squance, Renbu 2nd place – KE Yoshimura, Renbu 2nd place – Kei. Underhill, Northwest 3rd place – J. Paik, Tacoma 3rd place – S. Tominaga, Renbu 3rd place – F. Benson, Youshinkan 3rd place – Y. Lee, Renbu Women Kyu Women Dan 1st place – K. McIntosh, Federal Way 1st place – T. Koike, UBC 2nd place – C. Park, Bellevue 2nd place – C. Takeuchi, Youshinkan 3rd place – J. Oh, Highline 3rd place – Z. Hiromoto, Hawaii 3rd place – J. Lee, UW 3rd place – B. Park, UW 0-4 Kyu 3-1 Kyu 1st place – M. Tu, Seattle 1st place – A. Kim, Bellevue 2nd place – R. Long, UBC 2nd place – D. Chung, Cascade 3rd place – C. Chu, UW 3rd place – B. Wong, UW 3rd place – A. Yang, Bellevue 3rd place – C. Slater, UW 1-2 Dan 3 Dan 1st place – K. Higo, Renfrew 1st place – K. Yancey, Hawaii 2nd place – K. Fukuda, Cascade 2nd place – F. Wessbecher, Highline 3rd place – B. Sprenger, Obukan 3rd place – M. Murakami, UW 3rd place – D. Yao, Steveston 3rd place – M. Price, Seattle Junior Team 1st place - Renbu A (N. Son, K. Squance, H. Homma, C. Liao, Y. Lee) 2nd place - Steveston A (J. Hung, C. Robillard, L. Takahae, R. Nakano, D. Chui) 3rd place - Steveston B (J. Lam, T. Kwong, E. Chui, E. Nakano, D. Lam) 3rd place - Northwest (I. Lee, N. Underhill, J. Yu, Kei. Underhill, E. Dong) Senior Team 1st place – Youshinkan (A. Kobayashi, Y. Asaoka, F. Benson, T. Okurano, O. Benson) 2nd place - Renbu (A. Son, F. Yoshimura, R. Kim, O. Young, E. Kita) 3rd place - Hawaii (K. Chun, K. Yancey, D. Miura, Z. Hiromoto, A. Fujimoto) 3rd place - Bellevue (N. Smith, M. Blechschmidt, L. Tsybert, A. Samkange, B. Lee) Taikai Co-Chairs – CJ Chaney and Taryn Imanishi Shinpan Cho – Jeffrey Marsten Court Manager - David S. Yotsuuye Sportsmanship Pledge – Josh Kim, Federal Way Shoji Trophy – Keiji Underhill, Northwest
Terrance Allan McManus finally lost his protracted and extremely painful battle, first with throat cancer, and then with acute myeloid leukemia on September 8, 2019. Born July 22, 1961 at Madigan Army Medical Center, Terry had recently celebrated his 58th birthday with an enthusiastic spirit of optimism in anticipation of a bone marrow transplant. Terry’s older daughter Keeley Noel started Kendo at Kent when she was seven, and Terry became frustrated because she wouldn’t do what he told her, so finally when she was twelve he gave in and started Kendo himself. We soon saw in him clear reflection of Keeley’s characteristically tough, stubborn, resilient, never-say-die kind of Kendo. Jolly, in-your-face, full-tilt streetfighter type of Kendo which took no prisoners, and done with a laugh, he didn’t cut himself any slack either, frequently dislocating his right shoulder and then just popping it right back in, and continuing the match without missing a beat. After a stint in the Marines right out of high school, Terry became a widely-admired airline purser flight attendant, first with Northwest, and then for many years with Delta, it was in this profession where he met his beloved beautiful wife Niki, who also shared that calling. Keeley was soon followed by a second beautiful daughter, Kylee Alaina, currently a star athlete with the BOOST Volleyball Club. Based all his life in Tukwila, Terry traveled extensively in the Kendo world, as far as Osaka, Taipei, Kaohsiung, Amsterdam, Mexico, Texas, California, Canada, making friends everywhere in our global Kendo community. Our deepest condolences to the family.
PNKF KENDO SHINSA, September 22, 2019, Conestoga Recreation and Aquatics Center, Beaverton, Oregon 5TH KYU: Owen Kaufman (Portland), Iori Ohashi (Obukan). 4TH KYU: Akio Freauff (Portland), Christopher Kocurek (Portland), Marina Wain (Portland), Brandon Yep (OSU). 3RD KYU: Liqiang Huang (OSU), Eamon Nyiri Klein (Portland), Daniel Theophanes (Obukan), Megan Vinkemulder (Portland), Qi Wei (OSU), Zhongliang Xie (OSU). 1ST KYU: Sanae Anderson (Portland). PNKF IAIDO SHINSA, September 29, 2019, Rain City Fencing Center, Bellevue, Washington 2ND KYU: Maurice Benas III (Tonbo). 1ST KYU: Derek Reynolds (Alaska), James Thorne (AiShinKai), 1ST DAN: Abigail Benoit (Tonbo), Brian Burton (AiShinKai), 2ND DAN: Nikhil Varma (Seattle). 3RD DAN: Thane Mittelstaedt (AiShinKai), Garrit Pillie (AiShinKai), Ken Tawara (Idaho). AUSKF KENDO KODANSHA SHINSA, November 10, 2019, Griffin Elite Sports and Wellness, Erlanger, Kentucky 5TH DAN: John Beaty (GNEUSKF), Brian Beckford (MWKF), Lewis Chi (SEUSKF), Tracey Choi (EUSKF), Taishi Kato (GNEUSKF), Manabu Matsunaga (ECUSKF), Kentaro Nagao (SWKIF), Yongki Ryu (AEUSKF), Ryoko Sato (SCKO), Paul Winters (AEUSKF), Norio Yasui (SEUSKF), Kazuto Yasuda (SEUSKF). 6TH DAN: Shinichiro Fukui (AEUSKF), Mark Kerstein (SUSKIF), Satomi Lane (ECUSKF), Hiroyuki Morobayashi (ECUSKF), Takaya Zembayashi (SCKF). 7TH DAN: Daniel Nobutatsu Yang (SCKF). RENSHI: Jin-Kee Hyun (SEUSKF).