Volume 27, number 1/2/3
- Mar 28/31, Obukan Seminar, Thu/Sun, featuring Kendo Kyoshi Sasaki Sadao and Tsuchida
Kichibee, Conestoga Recreation Center, 9985 SW 125th Ave., Beaverton, Oregon, and other
- Mar 30, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, Sat, 12noon-5pm, featuring a section on judging Nito
conducted by Robert Stroud Sensei, who has been involved in the Nito seminars held
in the U.S. Tyee Educational Complex, 4424 S. 188th Street, SeaTac, located right off
I-5 at S. 188th Street. All participants will bring bogu and rotate through matches.
- Apr 13, UW Taikai, Sat, 10am, IMA.
- Apr 27/28, Cherry Blossom Festival, PNKF demo, Seattle Center.
- May 5, PNKF Oregon Kendo Shinsa up to 1st Dan, Obukan/Portland/Renma Dojo, Conestoga.
- May 11, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- May 18, Bellevue Junior Taikai, Sat, 9:30am-3pm.
- Jun 1, Rose City Taikai, Sat, doors open 8:30am, check-in 9am, opening ceremony 9:30am, PCC Sylvania Campus.
- Jun 15, 48th Annual Vancouver Kendo Tournament, 10am-6pm (Gym open at 9am), Byrne Creek Secondary School 7777-18th Street Burnaby, BC.
- Jun 27/30, PNKF Kendo Seminar, with Kendo Hanshi 8th Dan Yano Hiroshi and Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Yano Masako, Thu/Sun, Pacific Lutheran University Olson Gymnasium, 12180 Park Avenue S., Tacoma.
- Jul 6/12, PNKF Women’s Seminar, Sat/Fri, with Kendo Renshi 6th Dan Murayama Chinatsu
Sensei five times All Japan Women’s Champion, at several locations.
- Jul 13, PNKF North American Women’s Kendo Tournament, Sat, Renton Community Center.
- Jul 19/21, 6th US Kendo Nito Seminar, Fri/Sun, Linfield College, Ted Wilson Gym, 900
S.E. Baker Street, McMinnville, Oregon. Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Fuji Ryoichi and Sasaki
Hirotsugu will be returning to lead this year’s event. Schedule: Friday, July 19, 10:00 am –
5:00 pm; Saturday, July 20, 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, and Sayonara Dinner Party and Auction;
Sunday, July 21, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm.
- Jul 20, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Aug 10, PNKF Shinsa, Sat, Iaido 9am-12noon; Kendo 12:30-4pm, open
keiko 4-5pm, Kent.
- Sep 14, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Oct 5, PNKF Shinpan Seminar, 12noon-4pm, open keiko 4-5pm, Kent.
- Oct 19, Tacoma Taikai, Sat, 10am-4pm, Washington High School, 12420
Ainsworth Avenue South, Tacoma (tentative).
- Nov 2, PNKF Taikai, Sat, 9:30am, Kent.
- Nov 16, PNKF Board, Sat, 3-5pm, Renton.
- Nov 23 or Dec 7, Kent Taikai, Sat, report time 9am, start 9:30am, Kent.
- Apr 6/7, 25th Anniversary Cleveland Kendo Tournament/GNEUSKF Championships, Adelbert
- Apr 13/14, RMKIF Kendo Spring Seminar with Kendo Kyoshi 8th Dan Migita Kojiro Sensei,
and Shinsa up through Shodan, Fri/Sat, Englewood High School, 3800 S. Logan, Street,
Englewood, Colorado; dinner party: Great Wall Super Buffet, 3215 S Wadsworth Blvd., Lakewood,
- Apr 13/14, AUSKF Board meeting; and Kodansha Shinsa, Sat/Sun, Leigh High School, 5210
Leigh Avenue, San Jose, California.
- Apr 12/14, 25th European Kendo Championships, Fri/Sun, Max Schmeling Hall, Berlin.
- Jun 15, Vancouver Taikai (probable date).
- Jun 23, 4th AUSKF Junior Open National Championship, Sun, Las Vegas.
- Jun 26/28, International Naginata Seminar, Wed 8:30am thru Fri 4pm, Renton.
- Jun 27-30, AUSKF Iaido Seminar, Iowa School for the Deaf (ISD), 3501 Harry
Langdon Blvd, Council Bluffs, Iowa 51503.
- Jun 29, US Naginata Championships, Sat, Renton.
- 2014 AUSKF National Championship, George Mason University, Fairfax, Virginia.
TONBO IAIDO DOJO PERMANENT STATUS
At their January 12, 2013 meeting, the PNKF Board unanimously recognized Tonbo as a PNKF Dojo with permanent status. Classes meet at the Silverdale YMCA, 3909 Randall Road, Silverdale. Tuesdays and Thursdays, beginners from 7-8pm. Tuesdays, advanced Iai
8-9pm. Thursdays, Jodo 8-9pm.
HOSHU JODO DOJO, PORTLAND
At their March 16, 2013 meeting, the PNKF Board unanimously accepted Hoshu Jodo Dojo as
a PNKF Dojo with probationary status. Head instructor Jodo 5th Dan Thomas Groendal is
supported by Jodo 2nd Dan Marcus Phung. Their Koryu background is Shindo Muso Ryu. Classes
cover ZenKenRen Jodo, and are Tuesdays, 6-7:30pm, North Bellevue Community Center, 4063
148th Avenue N.E., and Wednesdays, 7:30-9pm, Beaverton Hoop YMCA, 9685 SW Harvest Court,
PACIFIC INTER-COLLEGIATE TOURNAMENT – January 12, 2013, University of Victoria
Non-Bogu 1st Kyu and Below 1st place - P. Kao, SFU 1st place - S. Stern, UW 2nd place - C. Ma, UBC 2nd place - H. Him, UW 1st Dan 2nd Dan 1st place - H. Christianson, UW 1st place - T. Hamanaka, UBC 2nd place - B. Hsu, SFU 2nd place - A. Kikkawa, UW Fighting Spirit - Hana Stoer, UVic Teams 1st place - UW (Y.Shim,F.Wessbecher,A.Kikkawa,H.Christianson,S.Stern,H.Kim,V.Le,N.Tang,Z.Neale,T.Tagami) 2nd place - UBC (TsuyoshiHamanaka,JenniferYui,JamLi,MitchTee,ArashSheikholeslam,HenryOrnar,JonathanMa)
51st ANNUAL STEVESTON KENDO TOURNAMENT – February 23, 2013, McMath High School, Richmond, BC
10 Years and Under 11 to 13 Years 14 to 15 Years 1st place - R. Kim, Renbu 1st place - E. Lee, Renbu 1st place - T. Horii, SCKF 2nd place - A. Shimizu, Tozenji 2nd place - I. Kim, Renbu 2nd place - T. Okitsu, Tozenji 3rd place - D. Larocque, UVic 3rd place - K. Muramatsu, Steveston 3rd place - C. Lam, Steveston 3rd place - A. Hayashi, UVic 3rd place - K. McManus, Kent 3rd place - C. Yoon, SCKF Non-Degree 0-4 Kyu Non-Degree 1-3 Kyu Ladies 1 Dan and Under 1st place - J. Yamauchi, Cascade 1st place - T. McManus, Kent 1st place - B. Lin, Bellevue 2nd place - H. Liu, UBC 2nd place - Y. Sandberg, Spokane 2nd place - M. DeJong, Highline 3rd place - B. Moromisato, Steveston 3rd place - N. Sung, UW 3rd place - K. Lam, Steveston 3rd place - H. Ornar, UBC 3rd place - K. Shimizu, Tozenji 3rd place - B. Hsu, SFU Ladies 2 Dan and Above 1-2 Dan 3 Dan 1st place - S. Suzuki, UBC 1st place - R. Murao, Steveston 1st place - T. Nagatani, SCKF 2nd place - W. Robillard, Steveston 2nd place - SJ Lee, Central 2nd place - I. Miki, Steveston 3rd place - A. Fukushima, Vancouver 3rd place - K. Ishikawa, Vancouver 3rd place - S. Jung, Vancouver 3rd place - J. Kurahashi, Renbu 3rd place - A. Lee, Vancouver 3rd place - K. Takeuchi, Youshinkan 4 Dan and Above 1st place - J. Brown, SCKF 3rd place - T. Ariga, Butokuden 2nd place - K. Lee, Chinook 3rd place - S. Asaoka, Youshinkan Junior Team Senior Team 1st place - Tozenji (M.Fukuoka,L.Oka,N.Kano, 1st place - SCKF B (B.Yoon,J.Hatakeyama, T.Okitsu,R.Holtzner) Y.Kariya,Y.Maekawa,J.Brown) 2nd place - Renbu (R.Kim,E.Lee,A.Lin,I.Kim, 2nd place - Steveston A (R,Murao,I.Miki, H.Shim) N.Nakano,T.Kondo,I.Takegaki) 3rd place - Kent/Hi/Tac (A.Kanemasu,K.McManus, 3rd place - SCKF A (M.Sugiyama,L.Suzuki, A.Yoshikawa,T.Marsten,J.DeJong) S.Maekawa,S.Watanabe,T.Nagatani) 3rd place - SCKF/Buto/Haw (K.Shimizu,M.Sugiyama, 3rd place - Vancouver (J.Murakami,A.Lee, C.Yoon,L.Sato,T.Horii) S.Ueno,SHJung,A.Fukushima)
36th ANNIVERSARY HIGHLINE MUDANSHA CHALLENGE CUP – March 9, 2013, White Center
Mudansha Yudansha 1st place - T. McManus, Kent 1st place - S. DeNardi, Spokane 2nd place - H. Kim, UW 2nd place - A. Melton, Spokane 3rd place - S. Stangler, Bellevue 3rd place - M. Kawamura, Bellevue 3rd place - T. Lui, OSU 3rd place - H. Christianson, UW Teams 1st place - UW, 38 points 2nd place - Spokane, 28 points 3rd place - Bellevue, 26 points 4th place - Highline, 22 points
A friend and faithful reader of the Kenyu, Kendo Kyoshi 7th Dan Mikio Hattanda, passed away
peacefully on December 23, 2012 at the age of 83 in his Oxnard, California home. Born March 24, 1929,
Hattanda Sensei exhibited the unassuming and powerful character of a true native of Kumamoto. He
attended Budo Senmon Gakko, a technical school of the Dai Nippon Butoku Kai (Greater Japan Martial
Virtue Society) in Kyoto until it closed in 1942. After the War, Hattanda Sensei earned a B.S. in
Economics and a B.A. in Chinese Literature from Ritsumeikan Daigaku, then taught Chinese literature
and history in high schools in Kyoto and Kumamoto. He moved to Santa Barbara, California in 1959,
where he married Helen. They became prominent in the floral nursery business in the Carpenteria,
Camarillo, and Oxnard region, and he practiced Kendo at the Santa Barbara Kendo Dojo. In December
1998, he founded the Seishin Kendo Dojo in Oxnard. Deepest condolences to his wife Helen and children
Karen, Steven and Jeffrey.
Ann Marie Boskovich
A humorous, cheerful, and great-hearted slow pitch outfielder, world-class knitter, loyal
supporter of all PNKF kenshi, and best friend and husband of our good Kendo teacher Rory Elliott
Sensei, Ann Marie Boskovich, passed away suddenly and unexpectedly on January 13, 2013. Born October
23, 1955 in Tacoma, Annie was a graduate of Saint Patrick’s School and was a member of the last
graduating class of Aquinas Academy. She got her top-flight nursing degree at Seattle University, and
had a career as a home health RN at Swedish Hospital in Ballard. She is sorely missed, and we extend
our deepest condolences to Elliott Sensei and to her large extended family.
PNKF IAIDO SHINSA, March 2, 2013, Tyee Educational Complex, SeaTac
3RD KYU: Anthony Hill (Tonbo), Robert Neff (Tonbo). 2ND KYU: Richard Milde (Tonbo).
1ST KYU: Masami Hill (Tonbo), Tsz Pang Lui (OSU), Kathleen Shipley (Tonbo), Lynda Shipley
(Tonbo), Gina Taylor (Tonbo), Anh Trieu (AiShinKai). 1ST DAN: Amber Jeanneret (Everett),
U-Seong (Hank) Kim (UW), Ryuichi Shimizu (Seattle).
PNKF KENDO SHINSA, March 2, 2013, Tyee Educational Complex, SeaTac
6TH KYU: Catherine Park (Bellevue). 5TH KYU: Emily Cho (Cascade), Han Young (Northwest).
4TH KYU: Tatsuya Gould (Federal Way), Trinh Ho (Northwest), Sung-Joon Im (Cascade), Jacob
Keenan (Cascade), Hannah Kim (Bellevue), Soohmin Lee (Cascade), Zeyu (Jessica) Song (UW). 3RD
KYU: Jun-Wing Chen (Bellevue), Lionel Courteau (Bellevue), Brian Cox (OSU), Drake Imanishi
(Seattle), Van Le (UW), Dennis Lee (Federal Way), Brian Liao (Bellevue), Sharon Ma (Bellevue), Chris
MacKay (Alaska), Colin Marshall (UW), Max Miller (Spokane), Zachary Neale (UW), Anna Neshyba (Tacoma),
Midori Ogami (UW), Dillon Peterson (Spokane), Leo Shibata (Bellevue), Nancy Tang (UW), Fiona Yang
(Bellevue), Joe Yang (Bellevue), Andrew Yuen (Seattle), Greg Wroblewski (Bellevue). 2ND KYU:
Jake Colter (Cascade), Amber Jeanneret (Everett), Kiana Johnson-Kugimiya (Northwest), Alex Kanemasu
(Kent), Keeley McManus (Kent), Tenma Rollins (Federal Way), Kevin Tsang (UW). 1ST KYU: Billy
Joe Griffin (Spokane), Andrea Kayser (Pocatello), Ryan Kim (Cascade), U-Seong (Hank) Kim (UW), Kenny
Lee (Cascade), Tsz Pang Lui (OSU), Terry McManus (Kent), Tiarnan Marsten (Kent), Yarrow Sandberg
(Spokane), Michael Song (Cascade), Shawn Stern (UW). 1ST DAN: Patrick Dunlap (Everett), Dan
Park (Bellevue), Yumiko Shinoda (Bellevue), Nakbin Sung (UW). 2ND DAN: Mia Abe (UW), Timothy
Bishop (Cascade), Erik (Harley) Christianson (UW), Melanie DeJong (Highline), Mark Frederick
(Northwest), Brandon Goh (Seattle), Bernice Lin (Bellevue), Ben Lu (Kent), Chris Ruiz (Spokane), Ted
Tagami (UW). 3RD DAN: Young Kim (Northwest), Antonino (Tony) Leischner (Pocatello), (Conor
Marsten (Kent), Valera Vulfson (Northwest), Frank Wessbecher (UW), Lei Yu (Northwest). 4TH
DAN: Amy Arsenault (Highline), Tina Bogucharova (Highline), Hiroaki Fukumoto (Seattle), Steve
Guidi (Seattle), Christopher Han (NCKF-San Mateo), Michael Mabale (Seattle), Anthony Zee
Editor – 7318 23rd Avenue N.E., Seattle, WA 98115